Innogen · Research · Current projects
Innovation, Development and Global Health: Regulation and Global Pharmaceuticals
The pharmaceutical sector is heavily regulated and this influences industry structure and patterns of innovation. Product safety and efficacy regulation and patent regulation are particularly important in this respect.
Innogen has carried out a wide range of work in relation to this theme and is concerned with both analyzing and understanding the impact of regulations, the way in which regulation interacts with other influences and the potential for revitalising innovation and shaping particular trajectories through regulatory evolution.
Current research projects include:
- Revitalising Innovation though regulatory evolution (Various ongoing activities by Joyce Tait, Joanna Chataway and David Wield)
- Reorganisation of innovation in the health care life sciences (An Innogen core project led by James Mittra)
- Internationalisation of Indian pharma (An Innogen core project led by Dinar Kale with Raphie Kaplinsky)
- Indian Pharmaceutical Sector in 2008: Local and Global Implications for Access to Medicines (Various ongoing activities led by Padmashree Gehl Sampath)
- The drivers of biotechnology firm innovative performance in the health care sector (An Innogen core project led by Alessandro Rosiello with Paul Quintas)
- Legal and regulatory mechanisms (An Innogen core project led by Shawn Harmon and Graeme Laurie)
- Innovation in Pharma and equity in health (A broadly funded project led by Mariana Mazzucato with Maureen Mackintosh, Luigi Orsenigo, Rebecca Hanlin, Roberto Simonetti)
Publications accounted for
Kale, D. and Wield, D. (2008) . Industry and Innovation, 15 (1). pp. 93-114. ISSN 1366-2716
Archambault, E., Simonetti, R., Côté, G. and Kale, D. (2007) . Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 19 (5). pp. 625-642. ISSN 0953-7325
Chataway, J., Kale, D. and Wield, D. (2007) . Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 19 (5). pp. 559-563. ISSN 0953-7325
Chataway, J., Tait, J. and Wield, D. (2007) . Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 19 (5). pp. 697-708. ISSN 0953-7325
Gehl Sampath, P. (2007) Journal of Technology Assessment and Strategic Management, 19 (5). pp. 1-20. ISSN 1465-3990 ACTUALLY Technology Analysis & Strategic Management 19 (5) 677-696
Kale, D. and Little, S. (2007) . Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 19 (5). pp. 589-609. ISSN 1465-3990
Chataway, J., Tait, J. and Wield, D. (2006) . Technology Analysis and Strategic Management, 18 (2). pp. 169-185. ISSN 1465-3990
Tait, J., Chataway, J., Lyall, C. and Wield, D. (2006) . In: Knowledge accumulation and industry evolution: the case of Pharma-Biotech. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, pp. 378-401. ISBN 0-521-85822-4, 978-0-521-85822-9
Chaturvedi, K. and Chataway, J. (2006) . International Journal of Business Innovation and Research, Vol. 1, Nos, 1 and 2.
Gehl Sampath, P. (2006) Journal of World Intellectual Property, 9 (6). pp. 694-726. ISSN 1422-2213
Harmon, S. (2006) . Health Care Analysis 14(4) pp. 215-236.
Harmon, S. (2006) Intellectual Property Quarterly 4, pp. 378-403.
Harmon, S. (2006) . European Law Review 31(5) pp. 642-666.
Gehl Sampath, P. (2005) Regulating Bioprospecting: Institutions for Drug Research, Access and Benefit-Sharing. United Nations University Press, Tokyo, Japan. ISBN 92-808-1112-6, 978-92-808-1112-4 " (2007) 12 Journal of Intellectual Property Rights pp.72-85.